Re: Configuration include directory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Greg Jaskiewicz" <gj(at)pointblue(dot)com(dot)pl>, "Greg Smith" <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Configuration include directory
Date: 2011-11-17 01:52:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
> On Wed, November 16, 2011 6:45 pm, Greg Jaskiewicz wrote:
>> What will happen if I specify:
>> includedir './'

> I would vote for it only to handle plain files (possibly softlinked) in
> the named directory.

I think Greg's point is that that would lead to again reading
postgresql.conf, and then again processing the includedir directive,
lather rinse repeat till stack overflow.

Now one view of this is that we already expect postgresql.conf to only
be writable by responsible adults, so if a DBA breaks his database this
way he has nobody but himself to blame. But still, if there's a simple
way to define that risk away, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

(Do we guard against recursive inclusion via plain old include? If
not, maybe this isn't worth worrying about.)