Re: Transaction manipulation commands in user defined c functions?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Hadjivassiliou <sporegnosis(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction manipulation commands in user defined c functions?
Date: 2010-06-09 16:14:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

Michael Hadjivassiliou <sporegnosis(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I've been searching for a way to do transaction blocks and savepoints within
> a user defined c function. Apparently the docs state that if an SPI function
> throws an error, control goes out of the function and the current
> transaction is rolled back, yet it hints that you can do subtransactions
> within a c function.

Well, sure. Look at the way that plpgsql implements a BEGIN/EXCEPTION
block, for example. You need to establish a subtransaction and have
a TRY/CATCH block to catch the error and clean up.

But having said that ... it's pretty messy and I wonder why you are
wanting to do this in a C function. Your code would be a lot more
future-proof in plpgsql, say. And if you're invoking operations as
heavyweight as a subtransaction, you're certainly not going to get any
noticeable performance win from using C.