RE: Planning time of Generic plan for a table partitioned into a lot

From: "Kato, Sho" <kato-sho(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'David Rowley' <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Planning time of Generic plan for a table partitioned into a lot
Date: 2018-11-29 07:17:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, David

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 1:23 PM David Rowley wrote:
> > I found that making a generic plan of SELECT/UPDATE/DELETE for a table
> partitioned into thousands is slow.
> > Especially, UPDATE/DELETE statement is too slow.
>
> It's quite well known and also documented [1] that this is slow. The manual
> reads:

Thanks for the detailed explanation and sorry for my lack of explanation.
What I am worried about is that if users don't know the flow of PREPARE EXECUTE, query execution seems to be suddenly slow and they will be in trouble.
Query execution seems no problem because choose_custom_plan() compare the costs of custom plans and generic plans and select a lower cost plan.
Actually, selected custom plan is faster than generic plan.
However, since a generic plan is made at sixth execution, it looks slow as a whole.

postgres=# prepare update_stmt(int) as update t set id = id + 1 where id = $1;
PREPARE
postgres=# \timing
Timing is on.
postgres=# execute update_stmt(8192);
UPDATE 0
Time: 25.702 ms
postgres=# execute update_stmt(8192);
UPDATE 0
Time: 13.641 ms
postgres=# execute update_stmt(8192);
UPDATE 0
Time: 13.380 ms
postgres=# execute update_stmt(8192);
UPDATE 0
Time: 8.508 ms
postgres=# execute update_stmt(8192);
UPDATE 0
Time: 12.162 ms
postgres=# execute update_stmt(8192);
UPDATE 0
Time: 26517.487 ms (00:26.517)
postgres=# execute update_stmt(8192);
UPDATE 0
Time: 13.208 ms

>Although I'm not
> sure this will do much for you SELECT case, since you're not pruning any
> partitions during planning.

Umm. enable_partition_pruning is on(default). Is there any settings?

> Since you mentioned the plan_cache_mode GUC, then I assume you're not
> talking about any version of PostgreSQL that's been released, so if you're
> looking for a way to make it faster in master then I'd suggest helping
> with the review of [2]. If that patch does not meet your needs then also
> help Thomas with [3]. If that's still not good enough then you might need
> to do some research yourself. perf is your friend there.

Yes, I look for a way to make it faster in master.
Thanks for your advice. I'll take a look.
I understand that since there is no run-time partition pruning of UPDATE/DELETE yet, planner creates plans for all partitions with force_generic_plan, which takes time to plan.

Regards,
Sho Kato