Re: Unexpected "shared memory block is still in use"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unexpected "shared memory block is still in use"
Date: 2019-05-10 14:55:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> Looks good. That is basically a defect in commit c09850992; the race passed
> from irrelevance to relevance when that commit subjected more segments to the
> test. Thanks for diagnosing it.

The bug's far older than that, surely, since before c09850992 we treated
*any* shmat failure as meaning we'd better fail. I think you're right
that c09850992 might've made it slightly more probable, but most likely
the bottom line here is just that we haven't been doing parallel
check-worlds a lot until relatively recently. The buildfarm would be
kind of unlikely to hit this I think --- AFAIK it doesn't launch multiple
postmasters using the same port number concurrently. But parallel
invocation of TAP test scripts makes the hazard real.

Will go fix/backpatch in a minute.