Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gary Cowell <gary_cowell(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Major differences between oracle and postgres performance - what can I do ?
Date: 2004-06-18 20:47:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

=?iso-8859-1?q?Gary=20Cowell?= <gary_cowell(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> So it seems the idea that oracle is dropping duplicate
> rows prior to the sort when using distinct may indeed
> be the case.

Okay. We won't have any short-term solution for making DISTINCT do that,
but if you are on PG 7.4 you could get the same effect from using
GROUP BY: instead of
select distinct version from vers where version is not null
try
select version from vers where version is not null group by version
You should get a HashAggregate plan out of that, and I'd think it'd be
pretty quick when there are not many distinct values of version.