Re: Empty bytea format - 9.1devel pg_dump and psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vladimir Kokovic <kokovic(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Empty bytea format - 9.1devel pg_dump and psql
Date: 2010-10-18 20:10:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Vladimir Kokovic <kokovic(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I think that empty bytea shoukd be like in 8.4, without \\x !

We could do that, but it seems completely cosmetic. The real problem
here is that you've got client-side code that doesn't understand the
hex-based format. It's going to break as soon as it sees a non-empty
bytea, so what's the use of trying to make the empty-string case
backwards compatible? It's probably better you find out about the
incompatibility sooner, so you can get on with fixing the real problem.