Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Date: 2021-05-10 17:39:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2021-05-10 at 12:38 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I came up with this release note text:
>
> <listitem>
> <!--
> Author: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> 2021-04-03 [55873a00e] Improve psql's behavior when the editor is exited withou
> -->
>
> <para>
> When editing the previous query or a file with psql's \e, ignore the
> contents if the editor exits without saving (Laurenz Albe)
> </para>
>
> <para>
> Previously, editing the previous query or a file and not saving the
> editor contents would still execute the editor contents. The \ef and
> \ev commands also now have this behavior.
> </para>
> </listitem>

Thanks, that looks much better.

The second paragraph starts describing the previous behavior, but the second
sentence details on the changes. Perhaps it would be better to put that into
the first paragraph:

<para>
When editing the previous query or a file with psql's \e, or when a
view or function definition are edited with \ev or \ef, ignore the
contents if the editor exits without saving (Laurenz Albe)
</para>

<para>
Previously, editing the previous query or a file and not saving the
editor contents would still execute the editor contents.
</para>

Yours,
Laurenz Albe