Re: Should SET ROLE inherit config params?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Should SET ROLE inherit config params?
Date: 2009-03-27 17:31:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Simon's idea of "profiles" sounds worth pursuing to me, but clearly
>> it's not happening for 8.4.

> I don't see why having a *separate* concept of profiles in addition to
> the ROLES is helpful. It seems like building a whole new house when all
> we really need is to expand the garage.

Simon already pointed out one major reason: we can define the semantics
of such things without creating any backwards-compatibility issues,
whereas fooling with the behavior of roles by themselves is likely to
create some issues.

However, this is all 8.5 material in any case, and I'm going to stop
paying attention now because I'm trying to get to 8.4 beta.