Re: .gitignore files, take two

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: James Cloos <cloos(at)jhcloos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: .gitignore files, take two
Date: 2010-10-10 04:42:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

James Cloos <cloos(at)jhcloos(dot)com> writes:
> I'm reading this a bit late, but...
> We (Xorg) found that ignoring:

> *~
> *.bak
> *.patch

> in addition to the files generated by building is very helpful.

Yeah ... personally I'm ignoring *~ and *.orig. I think that the
consensus among pgsql-hackers was that these sorts of things are
dependent on one's personal work habits, choice of editor and patch
tool, etc. So we're not ignoring them in the common project .gitignore
files, but it's easy enough to install them in a private ignore file.