Re: Mail thread references in commits

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Mail thread references in commits
Date: 2016-11-19 17:04:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I wonder if now is the time (again) to consider an issue tracker.

That would make the problem at hand worse, not better, because you'd
get nothing at all for cases that were too trivial to make an issue
tracker entry for, or that the committer couldn't be bothered to go
find in the issue tracker. We don't even have very widespread adherence
to the cite-a-message-thread convention yet (so far as I can tell,
Andres and I are the only committers doing it at all). Adding another
step of bureaucracy to our processes is just going to fail miserably.