Re: zic data updates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, joe(at)mcknight(dot)de, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: zic data updates
Date: 2006-11-18 03:37:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com> writes:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Tom has done the zic updates to 2006n.
>>
> What about update it to 2006o? It's from 11/06/2006 [1].

[ shrug... ] And by the time we release 8.2, it'll no doubt have
changed twice more. Folks who live in countries where DST rules change
with no notice will probably have to get used to downloading and
installing zic updates for themselves, because there's no chance that
our releases will be perfectly up to date.

For the Red Hat RPMs, I've been considering modifying the installed
file tree to link to /usr/share/zoneinfo so that Postgres would track
routine updates to the tzdata package automatically. This relies on
knowing that the system uses the same zic database format we do, and
where it keeps it, so I fear it's not a very portable answer :-(.
But there are definitely downsides as well as upsides to maintaining
our own timezone support.