Re: 2018-03 Commitfest starts tomorrow

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2018-03 Commitfest starts tomorrow
Date: 2018-03-01 05:42:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> writes:
> I'll be starting the Commitfest at midnight AoE (07:00 ET, 13:00 CET) so
> please get your patches in before then.
> Please remember that if you drop a new and large (or invasive patch)
> into this CF it may be moved to the next CF.
> This last CF for PG11 should generally be restricted to patches that
> have gone through review in prior CFs or are modest in scope.

As of right now, there are 229 entries in this commitfest (not counting
the items already committed or RWF).

It's hard for me to tell for sure, because the activity log page doesn't
stretch back far enough, but I think about 40 of those have been created
in the last 24 hours. It's certainly well over 20, because the log does
Wednesday UTC.

This is NOT how it is supposed to work. This is gaming the system.

I think that we should summarily bounce to the September 'fest anything
submitted in the last two days; certainly anything that's nontrivial.

There is no way that we can possibly handle 200+ CF entries in a month.
A large fraction of these are going to end up pushed to September no
matter what, and I think simple fairness demands that we spend our
time on the ones that are not Johnny-come-latelies.

We also need to be pretty hard-nosed about quickly bouncing anything
that's not realistically going to be able to get committed this month.
I've not gone through the list in detail, but there are at least several
waiting-on-author items that have seen no activity since the last 'fest.
I'd recommend marking those RWF pretty soon.