Re: btree_gist (was: CommitFest progress - or lack thereof)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: btree_gist (was: CommitFest progress - or lack thereof)
Date: 2011-02-17 21:43:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-rrreviewers

I wrote:
> In any case, I was pointing to that as a reason that btree_gist wasn't
> ready to be in core. It has nothing to do with KNN-ifying the module.
> I would like to see that happen before 9.1, else KNN will go out with
> not very many actual use-cases supported.

However, a larger reason for not applying that patch in a rush is that
it's almost certainly not up to speed for the recent extensions-related
changes. Please note in particular that we are now expecting the
update-from-unpackaged script to produce the same catalog state as the
install script. I just committed fixes to btree_gist's scripts to make
that actually true. Any new additions to the opclasses will need to be
done in the same style.