Re: [HACKERS] Horrible CREATE DATABASE Performance in High Sierra

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Brent Dearth <brent(dot)dearth(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Horrible CREATE DATABASE Performance in High Sierra
Date: 2018-09-19 04:38:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> What is the status of this? Is performance on High Sierra still bad?

> I committed the fix at 643c27e36. If Apple have done anything about the
> underlying problem, you couldn't tell it from their non-response to my
> bug report.

So, after just about one year of radio silence, I received email from
Apple saying that (a) they'd closed my bug report as a duplicate of
another one, and (b) that other one was also closed, and (c) not one
other iota of information.

This seems to be standard practice for them, though I'm at a loss
to say why they consider it even minimally acceptable. From here,
it seems like a great way to piss people off and ensure they won't
bother filing any future bug reports.

Anyway, reading the tea leaves and considering the timing, one might
guess that they actually fixed the problem as of macOS Mojave.