Re: CREATE TABLE AS WITH NO DATA

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE TABLE AS WITH NO DATA
Date: 2008-10-27 20:08:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Another small piece of parser acrobatics to become standard conforming.

I think we deliberately decided that we weren't going to implement this
syntax because it required this sort of pushup to provide a uselessly
redundant behavior. Adding more special cases to base_yylex is not
free, either in maintenance or in surprises for users. An example is
that trying to use LOCAL or NO as the name of a CTE will fail if this
patch is applied.

I'd like us to be trying to get rid of the special cases in base_yylex
not add more. (It strikes me that now that WITH is fully reserved,
we might not need some of the ones that are there anymore.)