Re: NLS vs error processing, again

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: jw(dot)pgsql(at)sduept(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NLS vs error processing, again
Date: 2006-04-05 03:57:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> As fas as looking into utils/mb/Unicode/euc_cn_to_utf8.map, the
> translation above seems to be correct. BTW, who does the translation
> from EUC-CN to UTF-8? Maybe gettext()?

I'm far from an expert on this, but the gettext documentation indicates
that it tries to translate the .po file contents into whatever encoding
is implied by LC_CTYPE. The fact that the string passed to
utf8_to_iso8859_1 is not identical to the .po file contents indicates
that gettext is doing *something*. I'm a bit worried that this
translation could be out of step with what we will expect the
server_encoding to be --- but there's not any immediate evidence of
that.

Anyway, the real problem seems to be what to do if translation of an
error message to the client_encoding fails. That's clearly a risk even
if gettext has behaved perfectly.