Re: issue with meson builds on msys2

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: issue with meson builds on msys2
Date: 2023-05-03 13:20:28
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 2023-04-27 Th 18:18, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2023-04-26 09:59:05 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Still running into this, and I am rather stumped. This is a blocker for
>> buildfarm support for meson:
>>
>> Here's a simple illustration of the problem. If I do the identical test with
>> a non-meson build there is no problem:
> This happens 100% reproducible?

For a sufficiently modern installation of msys2 (20230318 version) this
is reproducible on autoconf builds as well.

For now it's off my list of meson blockers. I will pursue the issue when
I have time, but for now the IPC::Run workaround is sufficient.

The main thing that's now an issue on Windows is support for various
options like libxml2. I installed the libxml2 distro from the package
manager scoop, generated .lib files for the libxml2 and libxslt DLLs,
and was able to build with autoconf on msys2, and with our MSVC support,
but not with meson in either case. It looks like we need to expand the
logic in meson.build for a number of these, just as we have done for
perl, python, openssl, ldap etc.

cheers

andrew

--