Re: ResultSet getString() result differs in 8.3 jdbc (compared to 8.1), with "real" type

From: Tanel <tanel(dot)ehrenpreis(at)finestmedia(dot)ee>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ResultSet getString() result differs in 8.3 jdbc (compared to 8.1), with "real" type
Date: 2009-05-15 07:13:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Thu, 14 May 2009, Tanel wrote:
>
>> I made some searches also, however found nothing exactly related to this
>> problem. We just shifted from using 8.1 driver to 8.3 however seems that
>> 8.3
>> driver handles differently Postgresql floating type values, when using
>> org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.java getString() on them ?
>> For example, when there is "real" type value 20.7 in database and we try
>> get it through getString() then old 8.1 driver returns nicely 20.7, but
>> new
>> 8.3 driver is returning something like 20.700001.
>>
>> So my question would be that if such getString() behaviour is desired (?)
>> (it is also in 8.4 driver), then can someone please give an hint where
>> exactly can this behaviour be manipulated/turned off/etc... ?
>>

> The setting that changed is extra_float_digits. The newer driver is
> setting it to two rather than the default zero to restore float values as
> accurately as possible. You can override this by issuing your own SET
> command upon connection.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/runtime-config-client.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CLIENT-FORMAT
>
> Kris Jurka
>
> --

Hi,

Thank you, that did it :)
Actually when I debugged and compared the source codes of 8.1 and 8.3 I
noticed and experimented with that value also, but as there are v2 and v3
ConnectionFactoryImpl.java, then somehow I missed the latter one, probably
the day was already too long by that time :)

Tanel.