Re: Floating point exception in initdb

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Vikram Patil" <vpatil(at)actuate(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Floating point exception in initdb
Date: 2010-03-29 23:45:22
Lists: pgsql-general

"Vikram Patil" <vpatil(at)actuate(dot)com> writes:
> I am getting an floating exception while running initdb from custom
> built postgresql . I am using suse linux for installing postgresql.

> initDB.sh: line 14: 20285 Floating point exception$pgsql_home/bin/initdb
> -A password -U postgres --pwfile="pwFile" -E UTF8 -D postgresql/data
> /log/initDB.log

Hm, dunno what's causing that ...

> Work around gcc bug that causes "floating-point exception" instead of
> "division by zero" on some platforms (Tom)

... but I'm quite sure that patch won't fix it for you, because it was
in code that wouldn't get executed during initdb.

What compiler are you using, for what hardware? Did you use any
nondefault configure or compiler switches? Have you modified the
Postgres sources at all? Which step of initdb gets the failure?
Try running that step under gdb so you can get a stack trace pointing
at the failure location.