Re: installing 7.2b3 on IRIX 6.5.13

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Luis Amigo <lamigo(at)atc(dot)unican(dot)es>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installing 7.2b3 on IRIX 6.5.13
Date: 2001-11-28 15:48:33
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

Luis Amigo <lamigo(at)atc(dot)unican(dot)es> writes:
> In our case -n32 (force new 32 bit object(maybe -o32 in old platforms)) was
> necessary because with 64 bit object we were getting linking errors.

Is it worth trying to find and fix the cause of that? On other
platforms that can build either 32- or 64-bit executables (eg, HPUX 11)
Postgres works in either mode. So I think it's probably just some
minor tweak needed for IRIX. It'd be better to let the user choose
which he wants than to force it in the template.

> -rx is processor instruction set, it is not necessary but I recommend it for
> better performance.

Again, it doesn't seem that we should try to guess the right value in
the template (unless IRIX has some command that the template script
could execute to get the right value?). The user can always specify
the CFLAGS he wants configure to use.