Re: proposal: psql: check env variable PSQL_PAGER

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: psql: check env variable PSQL_PAGER
Date: 2017-09-05 16:06:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> [ psql-psql-pager-env-2.patch ]

Pushed, with some fooling with the documentation (notably,
re-alphabetizing relevant lists).

Grepping turned up an additional place that's examining the PAGER
environment variable, namely PQprint() in libpq/fe-print.c. That's
not used by psql (or anything else in core PG) anymore; we're only
keeping it around for hypothetical external users of libpq. I debated
whether to make it honor PSQL_PAGER. I decided not to, since those
external users are by definition not psql ... but I added
a comment about that.