Re: pg_locale compilation error with Visual Studio 2017

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_locale compilation error with Visual Studio 2017
Date: 2018-05-11 14:39:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> I found the same error was raised by someone in pgsql-general lists but
> don't see the submitted patch was committed. Here is the discussion link
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAL5LfdQdxt9u1W4oJmELybVBJE3X4rtNrNp62NNFw9n%3DXd-wTQ%40mail.gmail.com

Yeah, that patch was rejected as unmaintainable, and it still is.
Somebody needs to do some research in Microsoft's docs and find out
what is the MS-approved way of getting the locale name now.

In the other thread, Munro wondered if ResolveLocaleName() would do
the trick, but AFAICS nobody has tried it.

Another idea would be to replace the whole mess with a lookup table,
although how to fill the table or maintain it in future would be
problematic too.