Re: Our CLUSTER implementation is pessimal

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Postgres <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Our CLUSTER implementation is pessimal
Date: 2008-09-09 12:22:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In particular I'm thinking of people clustering on a covering index (which
> isn't as uncommon as it sounds, if you have a covering index you probably do
> want to cluster it -- consider many-to-many join tables). We should be able to
> do an index-only scan which might be even faster than sorting.

[ scratches head... ] You need *all* the data from the heap. Or by
"covering index" do you mean an index that contains the entire table
contents? Doesn't really sound like a case we need to focus on; or
at least this version of clustering isn't what it needs, it wants an
implementation where the table and the index are the same thing.