Re: pgsql: Add 'basebackup_to_shell' contrib module.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add 'basebackup_to_shell' contrib module.
Date: 2022-03-30 16:34:34
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> Because I forgot about cfbot when attaching the patch, cfbot actually ran with
> it under this thread's cf entry. It does look like an improvement to me:
> https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6397292629458944?logs=test_world#L900
> We certainly can do better, but it's sufficiently better than what we have
> right now. So I'd like to commit it?

No objection here.

>> Would we want to do this in all branches? I'd vote for yes, but ...

> Unless somebody speaks in favor of doing this across branches, I'd just go for
> HEAD.

+1 for HEAD only, especially if we think we might change it some more
later. It seems possible this might break somebody's tooling if we
drop it into minor releases.

One refinement that comes to mind as I look at the patch is to distinguish
between "check" and "installcheck". Not sure that's worthwhile, but not
sure it isn't, either.