Re: WIP: a way forward on bootstrap data

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: a way forward on bootstrap data
Date: 2018-04-06 14:14:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 4/6/18, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> BTW, I experimented with adding blank lines between the hash items in the
>> .dat files, and that seemed to make a nice improvement in readability,
>> converting masses of rather gray text into visibly distinct stanzas.
>> I'm not dead set on that, but try it and see what you think.

> Narrow entries with natural whitespace might be okay as is. The
> pg_aggregate example is better with blank lines,

Yeah, it's somewhat of a worst-case example, because (more or less by
chance) most of the entries have last lines that are mostly full.
In other places it often happens that the last line of an entry is
much shorter than average, and that provides enough of a visual break,
as in your example from pg_amop.

> but another thing to
> consider is that a comment that hugs a block is clear on which entries
> it's referring to (pg_amop):

True, we'd need to rethink vertical spacing for comments. I don't offhand
see why we couldn't keep comments that apply to a specific entry directly
adjacent to that entry, though.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not set on this change. If you're unexcited by
the idea then let's drop it.