Re: Some thoughts about i/o priorities and throttling vacuum

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about i/o priorities and throttling vacuum
Date: 2003-10-17 14:36:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in> writes:
> Would it be possible to have a vacuum variant that would just shuffle thr.
> shared buffers and not touch disk at all?

What would be the use of that? You couldn't predict *anything* about
the coverage. Maybe you find all the free space in a particular table,
but most likely you don't.

In any case an I/O-free vacuum is impossible since once you have decided
to recycle a particular tuple, you don't have any option about removing
the corresponding index entries first. So unless both the table and all
its indexes are in RAM, you will be incurring I/O.