Setting up security for development

From: Michael Gould <mgould(at)intermodalsoftwaresolutions(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Setting up security for development
Date: 2009-07-09 15:23:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am having some issues trying to setup security for my development
platform. My server is running Windows 2008 Standard Server. I've
installed PostGres on this machine. Before installing, I had created a
postgres user in active directory with permissions of a standard user.

I have two workstations, one is Windows Vista 64 bit (also used as my VM
host) and my main development machine is a Windows Vista 32 bit VM running
on VMWare 6.5. The IP address range is 192.168.1.25 to 192.168.1.255.

Here are the pertinate parts from the pg_hba file. Without the local being
available the service will not start. It is my understanding that if I'm
going to connect using TCPIP that the localhost should not be used. For now
I'm using trust just to see if I can get it to start. When we actually
deploy we will be using LDAP services. If I have localhost activated only
then I can start the db and open up pgadmin and connect just fine. If it is
commented out the db service will not start. I'm needing to set this up so
any of my 5 machines can access the db. Running 8.4

Best Regards

Michael Gould

# Put your actual configuration here
# ----------------------------------
#
# If you want to allow non-local connections, you need to add more
# "host" records. In that case you will also need to make PostgreSQL listen
# on a non-local interface via the listen_addresses configuration parameter,
# or via the -i or -h command line switches.
#

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

# IPv4 local connections:
#host all all 127.0.0.1/32
host all all 192.168.1.0/32 255.255.255.0 trust
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 md5

--
Michael Gould, Managing Partner