Re: PATCH: Configurable file mode mask

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Configurable file mode mask
Date: 2018-03-05 22:11:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> writes:
>> That's basically a recursive chmod, so chmod_recursive is more adapted?
>> I could imagine that this is useful as well for removing group
>> permissions, so the new mode could be specified as an argument.

> The required package (File::chmod::Recursive) for chmod_recursive is not
> in use anywhere else and was not installed when I installed build
> dependencies.

> I'm not sure what the protocol for introducing a new Perl module is? I
> couldn't find packages for the major OSes. Are we OK with using CPAN?

I don't think that's cool. Anything that's not part of a standard Perl
installation is a bit of a lift already, and if it's not packaged by
major distros then it's really a problem for many people. (Yeah, they
may know what CPAN is, but they might have local policy issues about
installing directly from there.)