Re: Lessons from commit fest

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date: 2008-04-14 20:39:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> How did you feel about the idea of having a Tom-free commitfest for May?

Not a lot, though certainly I'd be willing to disengage from trivial
patches if someone else picked them up.

One problem with this fest was that a whole lot of the patches *weren't*
trivial; if they had been they'd not have gotten put off till 8.4. So
there weren't that many that I wanted to let go in without looking at
them. I guess that's just another way in which the 8.3 schedule problem
came home to roost during this fest.

In future fests we should have a much higher proportion of "little
things" that maybe more people would feel comfortable taking
responsibility for.

Perhaps it would be useful to try to rate pending patches by difficulty?