Re: Lessons from commit fest

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date: 2008-04-15 12:58:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> One problem with this fest was that a whole lot of the patches *weren't*
> trivial; if they had been they'd not have gotten put off till 8.4. So
> there weren't that many that I wanted to let go in without looking at
> them. I guess that's just another way in which the 8.3 schedule problem
> came home to roost during this fest.

That's an issue I ran into when looking through the patches as well. I
can help review trivial patches but I don't generally have the
bandwidth to review alot of the pretty heavy patches which were in the
March commitfest. It took me a while to get going on the commitfest too
though, in part because I wasn't really confident I knew the right
places to look and the right things to do. I'm still not 100% sure,
honestly. Do we have guidelines up somewhere about reviewing, specific
to the process rather than about how to submit patches?

> In future fests we should have a much higher proportion of "little
> things" that maybe more people would feel comfortable taking
> responsibility for.

I'm certainly happy to look at little things and review those and at
least add my own comments. I think that was helpful for the patches I
did comment on in the past, though if not please let me know.

> Perhaps it would be useful to try to rate pending patches by difficulty?

I think alot of times this can be determined pretty quickly, and I'd
hate to have a situation where patch submitters are complaining about
"you rated my patch harder than his and that's not fair" kind of things.

Thanks,

Stephen