Re: Willing to fix a PQexec() in libpq module

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, wufei(dot)fnst(at)cn(dot)fujitsu(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Willing to fix a PQexec() in libpq module
Date: 2019-03-19 17:46:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2019-03-19 13:18:25 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Having said that ... a better argument for a new API is that it
>> could be explicitly designed to handle multiple queries, and in
>> particular make some provision for returning multiple PGresults.

> Oh, I completely agree, that'd be hugely useful.

Of course, you can do that already with PQsendQuery + a loop
around PQgetResult. So the question here is whether that can
be wrapped up into something easier-to-use. I'm not entirely
sure what that might look like.

We should also keep in mind that there's a perfectly valid
use-case for wanting to send a big script of commands and
just check for overall success or failure. So it's not like
PQexec's current behavior has *no* valid uses.