Re: [GENERAL] postmaster does not start up

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Perrin - Demography <aperrin(at)demog(dot)Berkeley(dot)EDU>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] postmaster does not start up
Date: 2000-12-12 17:47:13
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Andrew Perrin - Demography <aperrin(at)demog(dot)Berkeley(dot)EDU> writes:
> Greetings - this is with a newly-compiled 7.0.3 under debian 2.2 on a
> pentium box. All compiling went just fine; however, although the
> postmaster is running based on ps, it can't be accessed. Any ideas will be
> much appreciated.

> postgres(at)nujoma:~$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start

> postgres(at)nujoma:~$ psql
> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> connectDB() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
> Is the postmaster running at 'localhost' and accepting connections on Unix
> socket '5432'?

Hmm. Where are you invoking psql from, and is it the same one you
compiled yourself?

ISTR that the Debian RPMs use a nonstandard location of the pgsql Unix
socket file, which means that an RPM psql will NOT talk to a standard
compilation of the postmaster, nor vice versa.

I've complained about that packaging choice in the past ;-)