Re: proposal: a validator for configuration files

From: Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: a validator for configuration files
Date: 2011-04-04 21:03:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Apr 1, 2011, at 12:08 AM, Alexey Klyukin wrote:

> Hi Selena,
>
> On Mar 30, 2011, at 11:42 PM, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 8:40 AM, Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>>

>> I did a little bit of work on this, and we discussed it here:
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-03/msg00345.php
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-03/msg01142.php
>>
>> Probably there's a bit of bitrot in there.
>
> Cool, I was not aware of your work in this direction. I've updated your patch
> to apply to the latest HEAD, implementing Tom Lane's suggestions (attached). I
> think I'll implement the other part (reporting all invalid parameters, as
> opposed to only the first one) tomorrow.

Here's the update of Selena's patch, which also shows all errors in
configuration parameters (as well as parser errors) during reload.

When I talked to Alvaro the other day he suggested starting with a stand-alone
process, which would load the postgresql.conf in a postmaster context, load
other configuration files and do some of the checks I've mentioned in my
initial proposal (particularly it would check that system's shared memory
limit is high enough by trying to allocate a new shared memory segment).
Afterwards, I'd like to implement checks from a user-callable function, and
not all checks would be available from it.

--
Alexey Klyukin

Attachment Content-Type Size
guc-file.diff application/octet-stream 7.2 KB