AW: AW: SQL3 UNDER

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Hannu Krosing'" <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: "'Robert B(dot) Easter'" <reaster(at)comptechnews(dot)com>, "'Chris Bitmead'" <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>, "'Postgres Hackers List'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: AW: AW: SQL3 UNDER
Date: 2000-05-25 10:29:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > When calling functions with a class argument they do pass
> all attributes
> > of subclasses to it. They use late function binding, so you
> can define
> > different functions for different subclasses having the same name.
> > They only show parent columns when doing 'select * from
> class' that has
> > subclasses.
>
> That's what we are planning also, to return all columns current
> favourite syntax to use is 'select ** from class', but even it is not
> yet implemented.

I am not talking about select * I am talking about
"select somefunc(supertable) from supertable"

create table supertable (a int);
create table taba (b int) under supertable;

create function somefunc (tup supertable) returning int
as 'select 1' ...

create function somefunc (tup taba) returning int
as 'select 0.5*b' ....

> BTW, does Informix/Illustra do single or multiple inheritance
> with their
> UNDER?

Multiple, as I said they took Illustra (which was a parallel effort
to port Postgres to SQL).

Andreas