Re: Postgres db corrupted ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "John P(dot) Looney" <valen(at)tuatha(dot)org>
Cc: postgres <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres db corrupted ?
Date: 2003-07-29 14:38:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

"John P. Looney" <valen(at)tuatha(dot)org> writes:
> What's up here ? Google is deathly silent.=20

> bash-2.05a$ pg_dumpall > db.out
> connected to template1...
> dumping database "MyPgSQLTest"...
> dumping database "bb1"...
> dumping database "bbadmin"...
> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] connection to database "bbadmin" failed: FATAL
> 1: SetDatabaseEncoding(): invalid database encoding
> pg_dump failed on bbadmin, exiting

A quick-and-dirty nostrum that sometimes helps for this sort of thing
is "vacuum full pg_database". (The idea is to get rid of dead tuples
that a new backend might be accidentally picking instead of the live
ones --- it has to read pg_database before it's joined the PROC array,
which among other things means it can't tell 100% accurately which rows
are really committed.)

If no go, could we see the output of "select * from pg_database"?