Re: Replication/Failover/HA solution

From: Ragnar Kjrstad <postgres(at)ragnark(dot)vestdata(dot)no>
To: Renney Thomas <renney(at)cris(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication/Failover/HA solution
Date: 2003-07-29 15:16:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 06:11:15PM -0400, Renney Thomas wrote:
> I am having a hard time selecting a Replication/Failover/HA solution for
> PGSQL. What is troubling is the number of solutions available in various
> states of development. Does the fact that dbmirror and rserv appear in
> the contrib directory, mean that they should be looked upon with more
> legitimacy? Any suggestions?

One possibility is to run postgresql (regular postgresql - no patches
required) controlled by heartbeat (http://www.linux-ha.org/) on two
nodes. Heartbeat will then make sure that only one of the nodes are
active at any time.

You will have to put the databases on shared storage; either something
like a shared SCSI RAID, or a software replication device like drdb or
md+nbd.

Make sure you have proper fencing in place, so you don't end up in a
situation where both nodes are active and modifying your database.

You should probably subscribe to the linux-ha mailinglist if you want to
take this approach.

--
Ragnar Kjorstad