Re: jdbc and nfs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christian Bourque" <christian(dot)bourque(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: jdbc and nfs
Date: 2008-02-16 18:19:24
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

"Christian Bourque" <christian(dot)bourque(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> The pg server is running on server B (openSUSE) and I'm connecting to
> it from server C (Solaris 10) using a user account with an nfs mounted
> directory from server A (openSUSE).

> If I unmount the nfs share it works! But with the share it doesn't,
> the connection seems to reach the server but it gets stuck there, no
> error and it doesn't timeout either...

It's way too hard to believe that NFS per se is interfering.

What I could believe is that there is some configuration-type file in
your home directory that is causing a problem, and after the unmount
it's not visible so no problem. There are obvious possibilities for
this such as ~/.psqlrc if you're using psql/libpq, but I dunno enough
about the JDBC environment to guess whether it has equivalents.

If all else fails, you could try strace'ing the application (or whatever
Solaris' equivalent to strace is) in both cases and comparing results.
That would at least make it clearer where it's hanging up ...