Re: PGXS: REGRESS_OPTS=--load-language=plpgsql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGXS: REGRESS_OPTS=--load-language=plpgsql
Date: 2010-02-19 04:38:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
>> support both pre-9.0 and post-9.0 PostgreSQLs. David Wheeler has
>> suggested that we special-case PL/pgsql for 9.0 and greater, as it's
>> in template0, where those tests are based.

> +1 for the CREATE LANGUAGE IF NOT EXISTS behavior.

> The regression test in the core is targeting only its version,
> but some external projects have version-independent tests.

I think it's more like "are under the fond illusion that their tests are
version-independent". Are we going to back out the next incompatible
change we choose to make as soon as somebody notices that it breaks a
third-party test case? I don't think so. Let me point out that
choosing to install plpgsql by default has already broken "--single"
restore of practically every pg_dump out there. Nobody batted an eye
about that. Why are we suddenly so concerned about its effects on
unnamed test suites?