Re: pl/perl extension fails on Windows

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pl/perl extension fails on Windows
Date: 2017-07-28 16:35:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Assuming that the Perl crew know what they're doing and this list is
>> complete, I notice that not one of the symbols they show as relevant
>> starts with an underscore. So I'm thinking that my previous semi-
>> joking idea of absorbing only -D switches for names that *don't*
>> start with an underscore was actually a good solution.

> Okay, as per your suggestion, I have modified my earlier patches that
> imports the -D switches used by perl into plperl accordingly i.e. it
> now ignores the switches whose name starts with underscore. Please
> find plperl_win_v3 and plperl_linux_v2 patches attached with this
> email.

OK, thanks. I've pushed the XSUB/dTHX patch after another round of
code-reading and some minor comment improvements; we'll soon see
what the buildfarm thinks of it. In the meantime I'll work on these
two patches.

>> (BTW, you never did tell us exactly what defines you're getting
>> out of Perl's flags on the problem installation.)

> I am really sorry about that. I just missed that in my earlier email.
> Here are the defines used in the perl where i could reproduce the
> issue,

> C:\Users\ashu>perl -MConfig -e "print $Config{ccflags}"
> -nologo -GF -W3 -O1 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -GL -fp:precise -DWIN32
> -D_CONSOLE -DNO_STRICT -DWIN64 -DCONSERVATIVE -DUSE_SITECUSTOMIZE
> -DPERL_TEXTMODE_SCRIPTS -DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_SYS

Uh-huh. So the issue is indeed that they're injecting PERL_IMPLICIT_SYS
via a command-line #define rather than putting it into perl's config.h,
and that results in a change in the apparent size of the PerlInterp
struct (because of IMem and friends). We'd expected as much, but it's
good to have clear confirmation.