Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Date: 2021-11-15 19:11:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> One important thing to call out: Meson has support for the AIX linker, but
> *not* the xlc compiler. I.e. one has to use gcc (or clang, but I didn't
> try). I don't know if we'd require adding support for xlc to meson - xlc is
> pretty buggy and it doesn't seem particularly crucial to support such an old
> crufty compiler on a platform that's not used to a significant degree?

While I have no particular interest in AIX or xlc specifically, I do
worry about us becoming a builds-on-gcc-or-workalikes-only project.
I suppose MSVC provides a little bit of a cross-check, but I don't
really like giving up on other compilers. Discounting gcc+clang+MSVC
leaves just a few buildfarm animals, and the xlc ones are a significant
part of that population. (In fact, unless somebody renews fossa/husky's
icc license, the three xlc animals will be an outright majority of
them, because wrasse and anole are the only other active animals with
non-mainstream compilers.)

Having said that, I don't plan to be the one trying to get meson
to add xlc support ...