Re: tuplesort_gettuple_common() and *should_free argument

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: hlinnaka <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tuplesort_gettuple_common() and *should_free argument
Date: 2017-01-25 23:16:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[ in the service of closing out this thread... ]

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> writes:
> Finally, 0003-* is a Valgrind suppression borrowed from my parallel
> CREATE INDEX patch. It's self-explanatory.

Um, I didn't find it all that self-explanatory. Why wouldn't we want
to avoid writing undefined data? I think the comment at least needs
to explain exactly what part of the written data might be uninitialized.
And I'd put the comment into valgrind.supp, too, not in the commit msg.

Also, the suppression seems far too broad. It would for instance
block any complaint about a write() invoked via an elog call from
any function invoked from any LogicalTape* function, no matter
how far removed.