Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] latest buildfarm client release

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] latest buildfarm client release
Date: 2015-11-22 05:47:35
Lists: buildfarm-members pgsql-hackers

> I have just released version 4.16 of the PostgreSQL Buildfarm client

I updated my critters to 4.16, and since nothing much was happening in
git, decided to test by doing "run_build.pl --nosend --verbose --force"
manually on prairiedog. That run went fine, but the cron job firing
run_branches.pl every few minutes was still live, and one of its runs
went a tad nuts even though nothing was happening in git:

Buildfarm member prairiedog failed on REL9_3_STABLE stage pgsql-Git
Buildfarm member prairiedog failed on REL9_4_STABLE stage pgsql-Git
Buildfarm member prairiedog failed on REL9_5_STABLE stage pgsql-Git

That resulted in these reports uploaded to the server:

http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=prairiedog&dt=2015-11-21%2018%3A27%3A29
http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=prairiedog&dt=2015-11-21%2018%3A27%3A19
http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=prairiedog&dt=2015-11-21%2018%3A26%3A12

which contain the following failure reports, respectively:

Missing checked out branch bf_REL9_5_STABLE:
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

Missing checked out branch bf_REL9_4_STABLE:
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

fatal: unable to read tree 719b1b413b507d0fc86162f6aa45b6e44e6d82a1
Cannot rebase: Your index contains uncommitted changes.
Please commit or stash them.

None of that makes any possible sense, because I certainly wasn't touching
the git tree by hand, and the run_build job was only touching HEAD.
There's nothing really broken on the machine, because the next set of
runs went through fine.

Don't know what to make of this, except that probably the buildfarm
script's concurrent-job interlocks need some attention.