Re: [BUGS] BUG #6034: pg_upgrade fails when it should not.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #6034: pg_upgrade fails when it should not.
Date: 2011-06-01 17:21:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

>>> I think you misread what I wrote, or I misexplained it, but never
>>> mind. Matching locale names case-insensitively sounds reasonable to
>>> me, unless someone has reason to believe it will blow up.

> On FreeBSD, locale names appear to be case-sensitive:

> $ LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 locale charmap
> UTF-8

> $ LC_ALL=en_US.utf-8 locale charmap
> US-ASCII

Hm, surely the latter result indicates that "en_US.utf-8" is not in fact
a valid locale name?

It would only be a problem if different case-foldings of the same name
represented valid but different locales on some platform, and that seems
rather hard to believe (it would be a pretty foolish choice no?).

So I'm inclined to leave the code alone.