Re: postmaster / resolv.conf / dns problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Cott Lang <cott(at)internetstaff(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster / resolv.conf / dns problem
Date: 2005-12-02 03:19:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Cott Lang <cott(at)internetstaff(dot)com> writes:
> I'm running 7.4.8 on RHEL 3.0 x86.
> Today, on two separate servers, I modified the resolv.conf file to point
> from two functioning name servers to two others.

> Within 5 minutes, one server would not accept new remote connections. I
> could log in fine w/ psql locally.

This is pretty bizarre ... offhand I would not have thought that the
postmaster depended on DNS service at all. Were you maybe using DNS
names instead of IP addresses in pg_hba.conf? What exactly does
"would not accept" mean --- what was the exact error message,
and was there anything in the postmaster log?