Re: postmaster / resolv.conf / dns problem

From: Cott Lang <cott(at)internetstaff(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster / resolv.conf / dns problem
Date: 2005-12-02 07:32:26
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Within 5 minutes, one server would not accept new remote connections. I
> > could log in fine w/ psql locally.
>
> This is pretty bizarre ... offhand I would not have thought that the
> postmaster depended on DNS service at all. Were you maybe using DNS
> names instead of IP addresses in pg_hba.conf? What exactly does
> "would not accept" mean --- what was the exact error message,
> and was there anything in the postmaster log?

I'm using only IP addresses in pg_hba.conf.

There was nothing in the postmaster log indicating a problem.

The only thing I saw strange was multiple postmasters spawning and
disappearing.

The errors I got in the JDBC drivers was the connection pool timing out
trying to get a connection, so it's possible they were working, just
taking horribly long to connect. Timeouts for Nagios monitoring PG was
10 seconds; pools were 20 seconds. In three years, I've probably seen 3
time outs. :)