Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Date: 2022-05-26 01:38:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> in the meson unconference session you'd spotted flex flags for psqlscanslash.l
> (I think) being "hardcoded". As far as I can tell that's largely just copied
> from the Makefile):

> src/backend/parser/Makefile:scan.c: FLEXFLAGS = -CF -p -p
> src/backend/utils/adt/Makefile:jsonpath_scan.c: FLEXFLAGS = -CF -p -p
> src/bin/psql/Makefile:psqlscanslash.c: FLEXFLAGS = -Cfe -p -p
> src/fe_utils/Makefile:psqlscan.c: FLEXFLAGS = -Cfe -p -p

Hmm, OK. There *is* a FLEXFLAGS definition supplied by configure, and
I believe many of our scanners do use it, but evidently we're just
overriding it for the ones where we really care about using specific
flags. It also looks like the configure-supplied version is usually
empty, so the fact that this variable exists may be mostly a holdover
from Autoconf practice rather than something we ever cared about.

I think the main thing I didn't like about the way you have it in the
meson file is the loss of greppability. I could investigate this
question in a few seconds just now, but if we drop the use of
FLEXFLAGS as a macro it'll become much harder to figure out which
places use what.