Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Date: 2022-05-26 00:47:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Tom,

in the meson unconference session you'd spotted flex flags for psqlscanslash.l
(I think) being "hardcoded". As far as I can tell that's largely just copied
from the Makefile):

src/backend/parser/Makefile:scan.c: FLEXFLAGS = -CF -p -p
src/backend/utils/adt/Makefile:jsonpath_scan.c: FLEXFLAGS = -CF -p -p
src/bin/psql/Makefile:psqlscanslash.c: FLEXFLAGS = -Cfe -p -p
src/fe_utils/Makefile:psqlscan.c: FLEXFLAGS = -Cfe -p -p

note that it's not even FLEXFLAGS += or such.

I honestly don't know enough about the various flex flags to judge what a
better approach would be? Looks like these flags are case specific? Perhaps we
could group them, i.e. have centrally defined "do compress" "don't compress"
flex flags?

Greetings,

Andres Freund