Re: 7.5 Plans

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.5 Plans
Date: 2003-11-27 06:18:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 23:32, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> 'k, but why can't that be accomplished with $Id$?

> When you import the files into the other CVS system the version and file
> information $Id$ represents will be replaced by the other system. So,
> when you diff the original (primary repository) EVERY file will show
> $Id$ has changed.

Right. I can write a long sob story about the pain this has caused
within Red Hat ... likely other people can say the same ... but the
executive summary is:

1. You can't easily generate a clean diff of your local version against
the original imported from postgresql.org. The changes you actually
made get buried in a mass of useless $Foo$ diff lines. Stripping those
out is possible in theory but painful.

2. You can't easily see which postgresql.org original version your local
copy was actually derived from, because guess what, your local CVS
server is going out of its way to hide the evidence.

These effects not only cause pain for the downstream users, but
interfere with them contributing their changes back upstream (by making
it many orders of magnitude harder to generate a clean diff to send us).
So we should fix it.