Re: 7.5 Plans

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.5 Plans
Date: 2003-11-27 05:36:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 23:32, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Rod Taylor wrote:
>
> > > So, what does changing it to $PostgreSQL$ do? Or am I reading the wrong
> > > part of the manual?
> >
> > After applying the patch in -patches to CVSROOT and running the update
> > script...
> >
> > It will allow Chris and other to import the PostgreSQL source into their
> > own CVS tree without having do to a ton of diff editing to reimport /
> > export changes between the primary tree and their development tree.
>
> 'k, but why can't that be accomplished with $Id$?

When you import the files into the other CVS system the version and file
information $Id$ represents will be replaced by the other system. So,
when you diff the original (primary repository) EVERY file will show
$Id$ has changed.

> Are there any caveats to the change? Ie. if Tom has a checkout and this
> change is made, will he have problems committing?

$VARIABLE$ is used for informational purposes only AFAIK. There would be
no change that I know of.

At work I use $InQuent$, FreeBSD of course uses $FreeBSD$ of which other
BSDs follow suite $NetBSD$ and $OpenBSD$. I've not heard of any issues
with 3rd party CVS clients and any of those repositories in this regard.