Re: contrib/dbmirror

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steven Singer <ssinger(at)navtechinc(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib/dbmirror
Date: 2002-10-18 19:11:51
Lists: pgsql-patches

Steven Singer <ssinger(at)navtechinc(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think the ideal solution would be for the dbmirror author(s) to agree
>> to relicense it as BSD. If no go, then push it over to gborg.

> I'm wiling to talk to some people here at Navtech about relicensing
> dbmirror as BSD but, if its going to be moved to gborg anyway in 7.4 then
> my preference would be to not relicense it.
> If its going to stay in contrib for the forseable future(at least until
> the postgres-r replication stuff is ready) then there's a good chance I
> can arrange for it to be relicensed.

I understand your feeling, but that leaves us with a hard decision.
Marc wants to skinny down contrib, which means pushing out stuff that
isn't fairly widely used. dbmirror being a new item, it doesn't have
any track record of use; and so there's very little to set on the other
side of the scales against the its-the-wrong-license argument.

I haven't tried dbmirror myself, but it looks useful; I'd vote for
keeping it in the distribution *if* the license is BSD. Otherwise
I'll have to vote not to.